advice on choosing a major
Damon B.
2003-09-11 08:17:49 UTC

Next fall, I will be transferring to the University of Texas as a junior in
engineering. Therefore, it will soon be time for me to choose a specific
engineering major. I have narrowed my choice down to two; electrical and
mechanical.

Does anyone have any advice, recommendations, or other input that might aid
me in making a choice to major in electrical or mechanical engineering? I am
looking for advice regarding the opportunities, outlook, and flexibility
provided by each field.

I have taken mid-level classes dealing generally both branches of
engineering, and I understand and enjoy the types of problems with both
fields. One friend of mine indicated to me that I should go with electrical
because the bachelors in electrical engineering is the most flexible in that
it is easily transferable to other fields. For example, he stated that one
would have no problems using a bachelors in electrical engineering to get a
job as a mechanical engineer.

I know my request for advice is general and therefore the answer depends on
many factors. I am just trying to make the most informed decision that I
possibly can, so I am very appreciative of any advice that I can get.

Thanks a bunch,

Damon
Repeating Decimal
2003-09-11 21:23:16 UTC
Post by Damon B.
Does anyone have any advice, recommendations, or other input that might aid
me in making a choice to major in electrical or mechanical engineering? I am
looking for advice regarding the opportunities, outlook, and flexibility
provided by each field.
My advice is to choose something you really like. Then become a good
engineer. Learn fundamentals. There is much more similarity to various
disciplines than meet the eye.

There are similarities between heat transfer and skin effect. Mechanical and
electrical vibrations are mathematically very similar. Understanding of
these vibrations is very helpful in quantum mechanics. Impedance concepts
are everywhere even if they are not called that. Influence coefficients in
civil engineering structures come out of circuit theory.

Bill
Whodat?
2003-09-13 00:15:39 UTC
Another suggestion. Does UT have a dual path option. Some schools
let you go an extra year or so and get degrees in both. This would
then make you a very valuable commodity, open up your employment
options and allow you to smoothly go in the direction you wish once
you are out in the working world. You will probably find out that the
company you work for will have a lot more to do with how you enjoy
your work than the type of engineering you are doing.

Bill
jim
2003-09-12 02:13:45 UTC
Post by Damon B.
Hi,
[...]
Become a teacher, they get summers off.
If you must become an engineer (I had to, it was just something in me). I
wouldn't decide on opportunities, outlook, flexibility. It's what you
like. Would you rather take apart your washer to see how it works, or your
television. That really would be a better question. I walked around
figuring out how the transmission and distribution system worked in my
neighborhood. Very sick, but you can guess which discipline I chose.

Good luck.

PS some might chastise me for trying to dissuade you from engineering, but
if you are an engineer, nothing I do or say would change that.
jim
Harry Conover
2003-09-13 18:19:05 UTC
Post by Damon B.
Hi,
Next fall, I will be transferring to the University of Texas as a junior in
engineering. Therefore, it will soon be time for me to choose a specific
engineering major. I have narrowed my choice down to two; electrical and
mechanical.
Dumb question I'm sure, but isn't junior year a little late to be
choosing your major? For example, how will you make up for a lack of
the many introductory courses in EE and its associated math that you
missed during your freshman and sophmore years?

Harry C.
Damon B.
2003-09-13 21:01:01 UTC
Post by Harry Conover
isn't junior year a little late to
be choosing your major?
1) I am not a junior yet. I will be next fall when I transfer.
2) The two degree plans have something like 17 or 18 classes in common.
Before I transfer, I will have taken all of those in addition to a few
courses that count towards mechanical and a few courses that count towards
electrical.

I just have to choose my major soon because I am applying to UT in the next
few months. I know that I will have not trouble getting into the school of
my choice. I just don't know what my school of choice is.
Post by Harry Conover
Hi,
Harry C.
Whodat?
2003-09-14 00:32:22 UTC
Last time I checked (granted, quite a few years ago) ALL engineering
students had to take at least 4 semesters/terms of Calc, a range of
common science courses and some common Eng courses. He may have
missed out on one or two intro courses covering basic electronics, but
nothing he can't catch up on. It may require an additional semester
or a summer session or two. Anyway, freshman and sophomore years are
usually dominated by the required core courses for a degree - common
to all engineering disciplines.
Post by Harry Conover
Hi,
Harry C.
Harry Conover
2003-09-30 19:09:08 UTC
Post by Whodat?
Last time I checked (granted, quite a few years ago) ALL engineering
students had to take at least 4 semesters/terms of Calc, a range of
common science courses and some common Eng courses. He may have
missed out on one or two intro courses covering basic electronics, but
nothing he can't catch up on. It may require an additional semester
or a summer session or two. Anyway, freshman and sophomore years are
usually dominated by the required core courses for a degree - common
to all engineering disciplines.
I was thinking more of courses like differential equations, a.c. and
d.c. circuit analysis, magnetic circuits and other EE oriented courses
normally taught in year 2 after the student has already achieved a
thorough mastery of calculus and vector analysis.

To my knowledge these courses are rarely taught in a general
engineering program, and without having this basic foundation,
attempting 3rd year EE courses would pose a bit of a challenge for
most students. This is why in many universities the first 2 years of
study for physics and EE students is an entirely different mix of
courses (usually far more math intensive, for one example) than is
required of other engineering majors.

I suppose that this is my source of confusion on this subject.

Harry C.